ToV is still on a break. The D&D 2024 books left a slimy coating on the rest of the 5E shelf, and I am not picking up the ToV Player's Guide just to prove I chose it. The books are upstairs. I can get to them when I want them. It can sit. When I come back, those books will still be the game I left. I am not sure 5.5E will be able to say the same. The late options are already pulling the math around, and the pages look like they are posing.
Arcana Unleashed for 5.5E showed up this month, and the videos are already doing what late books always do. There is a monk that takes the sorcerer list and starts turning slots into Focus. There is a feat that hangs Fireball and Wall of Force on anyone who can already cast, then lets them peel a couple of hit dice into the blast. I am not going to sit here and work the combos. I have watched this part of a cycle before. The options get louder so people keep talking, and after enough of that the community starts wanting a new edition as a reset.
5.5E has a few years of this madness left; the new book drops, the OP options come out, YouTube makes noise, and the cycle repeats. This is engagement, not a balanced, sustainable game engine.
I do not need the clean sheet. Kobold Press is stuck with Tales of the Valiant; in a way, Wizards is not stuck with 5.5E. If this game goes sour, they do not have a 6E waiting behind the curtain, so they cannot spend the next two years creating OP character options to get the YouTubers talking about 5.5E again. They will add books, and I am sure they will. I don't have to take every one of them, and the Player's Guide I already own doesn't pick up a mystic monk or a wall feat because a video needed a title.
I am still taking a break from 5E, but ToV will be the game I come home to.
It will still be stable, playable, and balanced when I return.
No comments:
Post a Comment